What next, after new ADHD diagnosis?
This page guides you through the initial steps to be taken after a new ADHD diagnosis.
What are the steps to be taken after a new ADHD diagnosis?Let us look at the steps to be taken after a new ADHD diagnosis
1. Focus on providing effective support for individuals living with ADHD.
2. Don't consider medication as a magic pill as it can only reduce the symptoms but does not cure ADHD. Shift the focus for finding a comprehensive treatment plan and management.
3. Read and understand DSM manual for ADHD diagnosis thoroughly, and try to explore and indentify any co-existing conditions.
4. Understand how ADHD feels like from the point of view of the person suffering from ADHD as much as possible through online research.
5. Invest time and effort in finding the root cause of your ADHD symptoms.
6. Research on the available holistic therapies for managing ADHD symptoms effectively, explore the best options suitable for you and start using them by making an integrative ADHD treatment plan.
7. Claim insurance coverage for diagnosis.
8. Seek information and support about ADHD from credible resources like CHADD, Attention Talk Radio, and TotallyADD.
9. Seek training in non-judgmental strategies for managing inattention, impulsivity, emotional intensity and hyperactivity.
10. Refer credible resources like ADD Crusher and ADD Classes for adults managing themselves, and ImpactADHD for parents managing children.
11. Claim insurance coverage for the parent training, which research has shown adds to the efficacy of medication.